Over the last nine years, I have:
- had my first-ever short documentary, Special Muscles, screened at the inaugural New York Short Film Festival
- served as a judge for the 2016 Newsies!, a high school newspaper competition for student journalists in New York City.
- served as a judge for the University of La Verne journalism clip contest.
- spoke on a panel about the so-called “tampon tax” and menstrual equity at Columbia Law School in April 2016.
- been a guest twice on WBAI Radio’s Morning Show with Michael G. Haskins—once to speak about parental leave in New York City tech, and the other joining Jarrett Murphy of City Limits to talk about an investigation New York state’s lackluster energy program.
- organized and moderated a panel on journalists and mental illness with Anna Holmes of Fusion and Dior Vargas, a Latina feminist mental health activist, at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism in 2014.
- appeared on the “My Two Dads” episode (11/19/13) of Al Jazeera America’s “The Stream.”
- served as co-facilitator of Ask the Experts: Teens of LGBTQ Families panel during the Philadelphia Family Pride Third Annual Family Matters Conference at Arcadia University in 2012.
- co-hosted The O List radio podcast while editor-in-chief of the now-defunct music rag Origivation from 2008 – 2010.
- co-judged the Beta Hi-fi Music Competition at World Café Live and Valentine’s Day Sucks V Singer/Songwriter Competition at Society Hill Playhouse, both in 2009.
- served as the intern panelist on “Running a City Paper” at Kelly Writers House while an intern at the now defunct Philadelphia City Paper in 2008.
- spoke to undergrads about journalism and the First Amendment at the Broadcast & New Media Conference and Career Fair held at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism in 2007.
I was also:
- awarded a Spotlight Documentary Film Award—silver category in December 2016 for my documentary, Special Muscles.
- awarded the 2016 Newsweek Magazine Alumni Prize.
- part of the team that won the award for best environmental reporting from the Society of the Silurians for the City Limits’ series, “Green Jobs Gone Missing.”
- part of the team that won a regional Society of Professional Journalists award and 2015 Online Journalism Award (Student Projects — Large, Online News Association) for “The Missing;” which was also a 2015 EPPY Awards finalist (Best College/University Investigative or Documentary Feature).
- a 2011 Jennings Fellow for the Peter Jennings Project for Journalists & the Constitution.
Please contact me if you would like to book me for a panel, workshop or speaking engagement.